NFL DRAFT GRADES/REVIEW
1. Carolina – I hate Carolina so it is hard for me to give them props. They had a great draft though. LB Jon Beason will make an instant impact on the defense and WR Dwayne Jarrett will become a favorite target of Jake DelHomo. And how C/G Ryan Kalil is still available in Round 3 is beyond me. They have their center for the next 10 seasons. DE Charles Johnson should be a pretty good player in the NFL. WR Ryne Robinson is the Panthers Devin Hester…just not quite as good. The rest of the picks are decent enough to take a roster spot.
2. Buffalo – The Bills had a very good day starting with the pick of RB Marshawn Lynch. They will not miss Willis McGaHACK very much. They needed a LB and they drafted Paul Poszluzny from Penn State. He is not Brian Urlacher but he will be a fixture in Buffalo for the next 10 years. Picking QB Trent Edwards was very smart. J.P. is a decent QB but not one to take you to the next level. Trent is very smart and has an above average arm. Trent will be the regular starter by 2009. S John Wendling is a fabulous pick. Another need area filled. GREAT DAY!
3. San Francisco – The Niners should now challenge in a weak, but rebuilding NFC West. Willis is a very good MLB and should anchor that D for a long time. Moving up to get OT Joe Staley was brilliant. He could end up being the best OT in the draft. WR Jason Hill should be the #3 receiver this season. He was a solid pick in the 3rd round. S Dashon Goldson in the 4th round is a steal. He may not start right away but he will get a lot of playing time and start before the season is over.
4. Atlanta – Well, it is all on Vick now. ATL replaced the departed DE with Jamaal Anderson from Arkansas. He is a fantastic pass rusher and all-around good athlete. Getting G Justin Blaylock from Texas at pick #39 is quite a feat. I didn’t think he would get out of the first round. He will start the season. WR Laurent Robinson from Illinois State will be a nice surprise. He is a lightning bolt and he can catch. Let’s see if Vick can get the ball to him and Horn. 6th Round pick C Doug Datish was a great pick. I had him as a mid to late 4th round talent. Doug could start at G and eventually become the FULL TIME C in 2008. Finally, last pick of the draft, FB Jason Snelling will be a good FB in the NFL. He may be more of a special teams guy his first season but he will get playing time as his career progresses.
5. Oakland – You got JaMarcus Russell at #1 and TE Zach Miller at #2. That alone is going to get you near the Top 5. Both should make an instant impact as I look for Russell to have a V. Young kind of debut. DE Q. Moses should start. I like his all-around game. WR Jonnie Lee Higgins (my prediction) will be a solid #2 reciever in the NFL by 2010. For starters he is a #3 or #4 option and a return man. He will turn heads. RB Michael Bush in the 4th Round…are you kidding me. Bush is coming off a bad injury but Bush 3/4 speed is still better than 1/2 the backs in the league. He gets his first 1,000 yards in 2008. CB John Bowie is the fastest man in the draft…now in the NFL with a 4.24, I shit you not. Oakland will also attempt to turn him into the next Devin Hester.
28. NY Jets – 4 picks on the day, 2 of them decent and NO STUDS. Revis and Harris should start in 2007 but I am not sold on either of them. Disappointing day for the J-E-T-S.
29. Indianapolis – They got a lot of players but only 2 or 3 will even stick. WR Gonzalez is pretty good and should be the #3 reciever on opening day. Ugoh will start at OT for the Colts in 2009. The other 7 picks are either special teams or special ed.
30. Philadelphia – Kevin Kolb #36 ahead of Beck, Stanton and Edwards. Players like S Eric Weddle, G Justin Blaylock and TE Zach Miller were also on the board. WOW! I had Kolb a mid to late 3rd rounder. Other picks like DE Abiamiri, LB Bradley and RB Hunt are all back up kind of players. The rest of their picks are all mid-camp cuts.
31. Miami – BRADY QUINN staring you in the face and you pass on him. Unreal. Now there are very few sure things in sports but I am certain Brady Quinn will be a starter and a pretty good one. Nice whiff! HELL, they could have traded down 10 spots, picked up 3 or 4 more picks and still got their man. So you take Ginn the Gimp from OSU and a QB in Round 2 in Beck from BYU. Couldn’t you have taken Brady with #1 and a WR like Sidney Rice, Dwayne Jarrett or Steve Smith with #2. What ass is running the show down there? They had 7 other picks and the only one that might stick is Booker and that would be as a #3 running back. NONE of these players will help you this year.
32. Washington – Hail to the ASSHOLES! Ok, now Landry is a damn good player and will be a good safety in the NFL. However, you have huge holes on the offensive and defensive line as well as the need for linebacker and you take a safety. This was one of the deepest safety drafts in recent memory. They could have trade down 4 or 5 spots, selected LB Lawrence Timmons or DT Amobi Okoye. There would have been quality safeties like Eric Weddle, Dashon Goldson and Sabby Pisctielli later in the draft. They had 4 more picks in the draft. One was used on QB Jordan Palmer who isn’t his brother. Jordan is nothing more than a career back up QB. The rest of the picks sucked.